Saturday, May 5, 2012

Summer Necklace

This was my inspiration for the week!!


I loved this project! It was easy, looked great, and didn't take too much thought so I could watch Tv while I did it. So since summer was coming, I decided to dedicate this necklace to summer because i'm so amazingly excited for it!

*I have been wearing this necklace around and gotten a bunch of comments on it! People think I got it from Urban Outfitters ahaha silly people. It cost about 2$ to make with enbroidery thread from JoAnn's. You can also get it form michaels if thats closer.

Alright lets get started!

You will need:
- A yarn ball
- embroidery floss and lots of it in all sorts of colors!!
- Scissors
- Beads or washers (Optional)
- A good Movie

1.)  First take your yarn ball and cut 4 pieces about arms length.
* I heard it was easier using a shoelace but I liked using yarn because I incorporated some of it into the necklace.
2.) Now pick a bunch of colors form your embroidery floss and cut REALLY long pieces then make a knot of all strings and floss.
* I didn't cut my floss at all, I just left it in little balls of mess and un-knotted them as I needed to.
3.) Tape your knot down or tie it to something. Now you will begin making endless friendship knots after friendship knots.
* Here is how to make a knot: HERE
4.) To change the color, simply put the color you were using down and start tieing with a different color! Its super easy!

5.) Make this one as long as you want the necklace to be. For example this is how long I want mine to go.

6.) Repeat steps 1 through 4 except you will make this one as short as you want the necklace to be. Make sure this one will fit over your head! 


7.) Now make about 4 to 6 or more, all different sizes in between these 2 that you just made! Here is all of mine!!

8.) Now i'm going to add on some things. I actually lost my beads so I put on some steel nuts which were on another necklace I saw. I like it it looks super cool!

9.) Now Im just tying all of my ends together at the top in Square Knots. Or you can just tie a bunch of random ones and hope for the best. 

10.) After you tie the knots, take a good bit of embroidery string and just wrap it around the knots so it covers up those knots. 

11.) Cut of the bits and ends and wear it like you just paid 100 dollars for it!!!



Things I wish I knew before:
- I wish I planned the colors better but I just used what I had left
- It would have been nice to plan out my sizes before with maybe other bits of yarn. 

Alright, thats it. Its pretty easy once you know how to do the knots!! If you make one I would LOVE to see pictures of yours, or if you come up with any tips and tricks PLEASE let me know!



Since this blog is stopped, you can see our NEW BLOG at http://blackcatcraft.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Pidge said...

Love your necklace! I made some of these a few years ago and have some suggestions:
1) to get the necklace to lay straight, dunk it in water and then hang it on a doorknob to dry with some sort of weight on it. That way, it'll dry straight.
2) I used rope trim stuff found in the quilting aisle - doesn't bunch up like yarn and was easy to finish off.
3) For an EXTRA chic look, use bead caps for your closure. Fancy!

Dhatchy said...

GENIUS!! Thank you so much! I am definitely going to use your water idea to straighten it!